HistoryIn 2005, former Supervisors Mark Church Rose Jacobs Gibson established the Math and Science Workgroup and Innovation programs to promote and improve student achievement and teacher excellence in math and science employing creative strategies to engage and inspire students.
The workgroup encourages collaborations between the County, cities, schools and businesses to build a strong workforce responsive to changes and demands in STEM innovation.
- To prepare San Mateo County youth and young adults for Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) careers
- To support STEM career pathways from elementary to post-secondary education
- To develop skills associated with STEM through hand-on learning opportunities for K-12 youth
- To address the growing demand for a strong STEM workforce in the Bay Area
Stem Program Highlights
Math and Science Teacher Innovation Grant
We are pleased to announce the Math and Science Teacher Innovation Grant award winners for 2013-14. These awards are made possible through the generous support of the County of San Mateo Board of Supervisors working in collaboration with Workforce Development. Special acknowledgment goes to Supervisor Carole Groom and Supervisor Warren Slocum, Chair and Co-Chair respectively, of the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) programs. We thank them for their time and guidance of these programs.
Congratulations to the 2013-14 Teacher Innovators whose projects were selected based on:
- Creative use of technology in STEM projects that engage and educate students through interactive, hands-on activities.
- Integration of 21st Century analytical and workforce skills supporting Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards.
- Provision of unique STEM learning opportunities relating to the school's in San Mateo County.
|Eddie Arias & Patty Kephart||Robertson Tigers in San Bruno Mountain Project||$5,000.00||Garnet Roberson Intermediate|
|James Brunner & Paul Luperini||3D Printer in Aeronautics and Arts and Architecture||$3,580.00||Bayside STEM Academy|
|Yoko Izumi & Carla Walden||Computer programming using Scratch and Digital literacy||$3,580.00||Garden Village elementary|
|Victoria Ferretti & Dwan Padilla||Garden Project||$4,516.00||Cabrillo Elementary|
|Donna Hong & Janine Lee||Learning Math with Baseball||$5,000.00||Panoroma|
|Lyn Kelley & 4th & 5th Grade Teachers||Lost in the Olympic Rain Forest||$4,971.00||El Granada Elementary|
|Sandy Mills, Jonathan, Harris, Patty McNally, Virginia Szczepanizk||Thar She Blows- Whale Data collection||$4,998.66||Ocean Shore & Brisbane Elementary|
|Sheila Sevilla, Heidi Geiges, Michelle Marino||Heather- STEM Field Trips integrated with science curriculum||$2,374.00||Heather Elementary|
|Brenda Taylor, Terri Maccan, Dina Flanagan||Engineering Design Thinking- FOSS Kits||$1,980.50||White Oaks Elementary|
For more information contact: Education Liaison, Josie Yu, 650-802-5123, email@example.com